Can’t survive off of $7.25! #fastfoodforward @wendys via @andalalucha This is awesome!! Fast food workers on strike!
I worked at American Apparel for two years. During the time that I worked there, the company implemented a company-wide recruitment policy where any person applying for a position must be photographed (1 headshot, 1 body shot) The actual resumes were thrown in the garbage. These photos were then sent to a company email address where someone would either give a thumbs up or down to the photographs. Staff were encouraged to recruit instore and on the street and were given a $100 bonus for every person they got approved.
Before this was implemented, all existing staff were photographed (again, 1 headshot and 1 body shot) Anyone deemed to be physically unworthy was let go from the company. Of course this wasn’t legal, however right before they started this process every employee had to sign a waiver form, that was pretty much a lot of legal gibberish, on the spot. I wanted to have a lawyer take a look at the form however I was told I had to sign it on the spot or I would be let go.
There was also a company intranet website which all employees where to check on a regular basis. This was Dov’s main line of communication to all staff. The site would have pictures of girls from the stores where he would rip them apart for having too thin eyebrows, for having “ugly make-up” or bad tattoos and piercings. They were basically publicly shamed for not looking the way he wanted to. He would also post memos saying things like “HIRE MORE ASIANS”
Most of the girls that I worked with were super young, I was the oldest in the store at 20. We even secretly employed one girl’s little sister who was only 13. A lot of the time when the guys from head office would come in they would take pictures of the girls in the store. Some of the girls wanted extra attention so they would pose pretty raunchy for them, mostly they just side boob and stuff but sometimes it got kind of weird. Also, every city with an American Apparel also has a company hotel room. Personally, I never went with them, but when the head office guys came to town they would take a few girls from the store with them for the night. I heard stories about tons of weird crap going on those nights and I know for a fact many of those girls were under 18.
I worked at AA for a year and I can verify all of this. I was a merchandiser that was let go for not being up to physical standards (but the official reason was time and attendance, when I was pulling 12 hour days 4 times a week). They had an “auditor” from corporate come into town to “audit.” She had an hour long meeting with us telling us that we needed to dress sexier and wear more heels and tights (but if we had a run in our tights we could be fired/written up). Since I was a merchandiser, there was no way I was going to be wearing heels on 12-foot ladders, lugging around mannequins all day. They told me to dye my hair and get rid of my piercings, I said no, they let go of me a few days before Christmas.
AMERICAN APPAREL IS SO FUCKING GROSS AND NO ONE EVER SEEMS TO BELIEVE ME eeeeeeeeeeeeu
++ PLEASE SHARE FAR AND WIDE ++
an artistic collabo btwn street inc media and rodolfo ( young student at youthbuild CRCD)
this is what institutional oppression looks like.we need justice in the justice system!!
” 80 % of the people locked up in the Los Angeles County Jails are BLACK & LATINO “
JOIN THE MOVEMENT TO END SHERIFF VIOLENCE IN L.A. JAILS!
PLEASE SUPPORT, LIKE THE COALITION’S PAGE
& PLS LIKE OUR PAGE TOO
#endsheriffviolence #reduceLAjailpop #riseofthedandelions #ourpeoplearemedicine
demonstration for the Panther 21
Kathleen speaking at a Panther Rally 1969
René Burri - Contact sheets of Che Guevara - Havana Cuba, 1963
La especulación del neoliberalismo, según
el aweonao deMilton Friedman traería libertad y prosperidad al mundo, seguramente no pensó que el mundo no es igual a Estados Unidos.
El progreso de la globalización neoliberal, todos iguales, una receta para controlarlos a todos.
Despierten hijos de aventurosos hidalgos y bravos caciques antes que lo que sus abuelos saben se lo lleven a sus tumbas.
“Authentic Rabbis always opposed Zionism and the State of Israel.”
- Anonymous asked:I've read a lot of articles this week on whether or not the continued public demonizing of Chris Brown has racist undertones. Thoughts?
I think he is a worthless asshole, but also that his demonization does have racist undertones.
- Anonymous asked:Are you available for children's parties?
FOR A FEE, I WILL COME TO ANY PARTY AND YELL AT RACIST PEOPLE
- Anonymous asked:I lived in a 95% white town for the first 18 years of my life. Now I'm going to college in a city with much more diversity. I think you've helped me be not a racist asshole by pointing out some of the obviously racist shit that I might have said/done by accident. So thanks.
You probably could have figured a lot of this shit out on your own, but no problem.
- Anonymous asked:I got a 3.1 this quarter!
Yo, you need to step your game up, bragging about some goddamn B’s.
- Anonymous asked:My boyfriend always says Obama played the race card. He also claims "western culture" is better than "nonwestern cultures" because it created neoliberalism and medicine and shit. If I call him racist and try to patiently explain to him why, he will have a very smart conversation with me about it without changing his mind. Is it okay to date a racist if I think it's possible to enlighten him? He will almost certainly be rich and powerful one day. Plus I like him.
WHY DO YOU LIKE THIS FUCKING RACIST ASSHOLE YOU BIG IDIOT
- Anonymous asked:At work there is another person with the same name in our group of friends, I am white he is asian. They have started calling me 'Asian-Eric' and him 'White-Eric', to 'avoid being racist'. Besides being a shitty nickname for both of us. I am pretty sure this is actually more racist than just referring to him as asian Eric. I am not complaining about my own nickname but every time I have to explain why my workmates call me asian Eric I feel like a giant douche.
HAVE YOU IDIOTS NEVER HEARD OF SURNAMES BEFORE